Respected Pearl River lawyers work with estate representatives to win compensation
The death of a loved one due to another person's negligent or deliberate act is emotionally wrenching. While nothing can truly make up for your loss, you may be able to hold the parties at fault accountable for their actions. The attorneys at Orak & Associates, PC in Pearl River, New York help survivors and estate representatives pursue financial compensation through wrongful death actions. In settlement negotiations and at trial, we steadfastly champion the best interests of those we represent. We handle cases in the courts of Rockland County and New York City.
Determined attorneys pursue damages for decedents' and survivors' losses
A wrongful death suit seeks compensation that the decedent would have been entitled to receive had they survived the fatal event, included medical costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. The funds recovered go to the decedent's estate and are then distributed according to his or her will or by state law. In addition, as a spouse, child or parent of the decedent, you can seek reimbursement for your own loss of support, loss of companionship and emotional distress, along with out-of-pocket costs like funeral and burial expenses.
Skilled legal team seeks justice for victims of fatal accidents and attacks
In New York, a wrongful death lawsuit can be brought by the spouse, parent, child or estate representative of a person who lost their life due to someone else's negligence or deliberate act. Our firm assists in suits over deaths resulting from:
- Motor vehicle collisions — Distracted, drunk, fatigued, aggressive and reckless drivers often cause fatal accidents.
- Nursing home negligence — Elders entrusted to the care of nursing home or assisted living facilities are often victims of neglect or abuse, sometimes resulting in death.
- Medical malpractice — A mistake or omission by a doctor or nurse can have catastrophic and sometimes fatal consequences.
- Construction accidents — Construction is one of the most dangerous industries in the United States. Falls from heights, equipment malfunctions and acts of carelessness can all lead to workers' deaths.
- Intentional attacks — An act of violence that results in death can be the subject of a wrongful death lawsuit, whether or not the assailant is convicted of a crime such as murder, manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide.
The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit in New York is two years from the date of death. When you are ready to speak to an attorney, we are here to consult with you.
Contact dedicated Rockland County wrongful death attorneys to schedule a free consultation
The lawyers at Orak & Associates, PC in Pearl River, New York represent survivors and estate representatives in wrongful death suits in Rockland County and New York City. To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call 917-216-8819 or contact us online.